Horticulture Industries - Nursery Operations Option
This program is offered at Clark State's Springfield - Leffel Lane location.
The Horticultural Industries program provides basic preparation for careers in the landscape and turfgrass industries. The campus grounds, including a greenhouse facility and a one-hole golf course, act as a working laboratory to give students practical training. Clark State students can specialize in nursery operations. Landscape plant materials, landscape installation, and plant propagation are areas emphasized leading to careers in the garden-center and nursery industries.
The program schedule is designed for full-time students who have completed all prerequisites and who have no college preparatory recommendations. Many individuals, especially part-time students and those taking college preparatory courses, will require additional terms of study. Students should consult their academic advisor for help in planning their schedules.
Upon completion of an Associate of Applied Science degree in the Nursery Operations option, a graduate will be able to:
- Identify plant nutrient deficiencies and describe corrective measures.
- Identify major plant pests, including weeds, insects, and diseases and describe corrective measures.
- Develop a written agricultural business plan.
- Locate and use current information in solving technical and critical thinking problems.
- Demonstrate effective employability skills.
- Identify common landscape plant materials.
- Demonstate the proper care of established plants in the landscape.
- Write clearly and accurately in a variety of contexts and formats.
- Speak clearly and accurately in a variety of contexts and formats.
- Use critical thinking and problem solving to draw logical conclusions.
- Use numerical data to solve problems, explain phenomena and make predictions.
High school chemistry, biology, geometry, algebra, and keyboarding skills are strongly recommended.
Click Here current local data on wages, employment, job postings, and associated education and training from Career Coach.
Students enrolled in Associate of Applied Science degree programs are preparing for employment upon graduation from the program. However, at some point many of these students are also interested in completing a bachelor's degree. A number of colleges or universities have designed bachelor's completion programs designed for students completing applied degrees. See the Transfer section of the catalog for more information.
Humanities/Social Science Electives
A complete listing of humanities and social science electives is available in the College Catalog.
Download the curriculum sheet for this major.
|AGR 1100||Ag Survey and Professional Development||4|
|AGR 1300||Soil Science||4|
|AGR 1600||Landscape Maintenance||4|
|ENG 1111||English I||3|
|AGR 1350||Soil Fertility||4|
|ENG 1112||English II||3|
|MTH 1200||Technical Math for Agriculture||3|
|--||Arts/Humanities or Social/Behavioral Science Elective (GA) *||3|
|AGR 200N||Co-op Experience in Nursery Ops||2|
|AGR 2100||Woody Plant Materials||4|
|AGR 2600||Plant Pests||4|
|AGR 2700||Ag Business Management||4|
|COM 1120||Public Speaking I||3|
|AGR 2150||Herbaceous Plant Materials||3|
|AGR 2300||Plant Propagation||4|
|AGR 2650||Integrated Pest Management||4|
|AGR 2850||Agricultural Capstone Seminar||3|
|MKT 2450||Sales and Sales Management||3|
|Total Credit Hours||62|
* Must be a global awareness (GA) course and may come from social/behavioral sciences or arts/humanities courses identified in the Catalog as General Education for technical programs.
Class Schedule Planning
The planning schedule below indicates when and where courses in your program of study will be offered for the next two academic years. This is helpful information when planning your class schedule for each semester.
Disclaimer: This information is for planning purposes only and does not guarantee availability. Clark State Community College will make every effort to offer courses as listed above but reserves the right to change, add, and cancel course offerings for unforeseen circumstances.