Proficiency exams are available for many of the courses at Clark State. If you feel that you already have the competency/skill that is offered in a Clark State course, you may have the option of taking a proficiency exam in order to test out of the course.
There are time restrictions for taking proficiency exams, so you should schedule it as far in advance as possible. The fee for taking the exam is $15 per credit hour with a minimum charge of $20. A proficiency exam is paid for separately in the Cashier's Office and, if passed, gives the student full credit for the course. Eighty percent or better is a passing score. Please note that a proficiency exam cannot be retaken for a period of one year. Please contact the academic division to see if a proficiency exam is available for a specific course.
If you are on any type of financial aid, taking a proficiency exam will drop your credit hours by the number of credit hours of the course.
Proficiency exam guidelines (PDFs) are available for the following ITS courses:
- ITS 0810 Keyboarding
- ITS 1100 Information Technology Basics
- ITS 1105 Computer Concepts and Office Productive Tools
- ITS 1205 Windows 7 Concepts
- ITS 1210 Keyboarding/Word Processing
- ITS 1215 Beginning Word Processing
- ITS 1216 Intermediate Word Processing
- ITS 1220 Presentation Graphics
- ITS 1235 Beginning Spreadsheets
- ITS 1236 Intermediate Spreadsheets
- ITS 1245 Beginning Database
- ITS 1246 Intermediate Database