Beginning September 1, 2004, a new United States Department of Homeland Security rule requires F-1 and J-1 visa applicants to pay a one time fee of $200 to supplement the administration and maintenance costs of the Student Exchange Information System (SEVIS).
This fee must be paid prior to applying for the visa. If you do not pay this fee prior to applying for the visa, you will not be issued an F or J non-immigrant visa for admission to the United States.
The SEVIS fee must be paid at least three (3) business days prior to applying for your visa. The fee can be paid by mail or online and be accompanied by a Form I-901. It can be paid by you or a third party, inside or outside the United States.
If you have Internet access, completing the form online will help ensure that you provide all the information in the correct format. This helps speed processing.
Paper forms are scanned and read by machine. If information is missing or hard to read, the form will be manually reviewed. SEVP will attempt to fill in missing or hard-to-read information. This could cause a short delay in processing your form or could result in the form being returned to you for correction. When using a paper form, please print clearly. Your SEVIS ID number, last name (surname or family name) and date of birth are critical data elements. These are needed to match the information on your Form I-20 or DS-2019.
To Pay Online
- Complete the online Form I-901.
- Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, Mastercard or American Express information. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20.
- Print a copy of the online receipt.
- Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.
To Pay By Mail
Download Form I-901.
Checklist for Paper Form I-901:
- Legible printing
- SEVIS ID number is correct and matches your Form I-20 or DS-2019
- Your last name is entered exactly as it appears on your Form I-20 or DS-2019
- You have given the address where you want your receipt sent
- If you have chosen expedited delivery, your address must be a street address--not a post office box
- Your date of birth is entered exactly as it appears on your Form I-20 or DS-2019
- You have indicated the fee amount correctly
Checklist for Paying by Check or Money Order:
- The payment is by international money order or a foreign draft drawn on a financial institution in the United States and payable in United States currency
- Your name and SEVIS ID number are on the check or money order
- The check or money order is made out to I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
- If you are using a coupon printed from the Internet, find the control number on top of the coupon and write it on your check or money order
- Attach your check or money order to your coupon or paper Form I-901