Skip to Content
College Life
Food Assistance – SNAP

Food Assistance – SNAP

The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021temporarily expanded SNAP eligibility to include students enrolled at least half-time in an institution of higher education, who either:

  1. Are eligible to participate in state or federally financed work study during the regular school year, as determined by the institution of higher education, or
  2. Have an expected family contribution (EFC) of $0 in the current academic year.

Beginning on Jan. 16, 2021, students who meet one of the two criteria outlined above may receive SNAP if they meet all other financial and non-financial SNAP eligibility criteria. The new, temporary exemptions will be in effect until 30 days after the COVID-19 public health emergency is lifted.

Under SNAP regular rules, only students who actually participate in state or federally funded work study are eligible. The new, temporary exemption, expands SNAP eligibility to students who are eligible to participate in work study during the regular school year, without the requirement that they actually participate.

The new, temporary exemptions do not impact any other student exemptions (see “What are the student exemptions?” below). All current student eligibility exemptions remain in effect.

To find out how to apply, or for other questions about your SNAP eligibility, contact your local SNAP office.

What is SNAP E&T?

SNAP E&T is a federally funded, state administered program that assists program participants in gaining the skills, training, or work experience needed to move towards—and into—employment. SNAP E&T also helps reduce barriers to work by providing individuals with support services – such as transportation and childcare – as they prepare for and obtain employment and job retention services to help them maintain employment.  

Am I eligible for SNAP E&T?

In order to receive SNAP E&T services, you must be receiving SNAP and not receiving TANF cash assistance. You must also be able to work. Your eligibility for SNAP E&T will also depend on your state’s E&T program.

Are students eligible for SNAP?

Generally, students attending college more than half-time are not eligible for SNAP unless they meet certain specific exemptions and meet all other SNAP eligibility requirements.

Who counts as a student for SNAP purposes?

Individuals are considered students if they are enrolled at least half-time in an institution of higher education. Individuals enrolled less than half-time may be SNAP-eligible if they meet all other SNAP eligibility requirements.

What are the student exemptions?

If you are a student (as defined above) you may be able to get SNAP benefits if you are otherwise eligible for SNAP and meet one of the following exemptions:

  • Are 17 years old or younger, or 50 years old or older;
  • Are physically or mentally unfit (have a disability);
  • Receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits;
  • Are enrolled in a TANF Job Opportunities and Basic Skills (JOBS) program;
  • Work at least 20 hours a week in paid employment;
  • Participate in a state or federally financed work study program;
  • Participate in an on-the-job training program;
  • Care for a child under the age of 6;
  • Care for a child age 6 to 11 and do not have adequate child care enabling you to attend school and work 20 hours a week or participate in work study;
  • Are a single parent enrolled full-time in college and taking care of a child under 12; or
  • Are assigned to or placed in a college or other institution of higher education through:
    • A program under WIOA (Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014);
    • A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974 (Trade Adjustment Assistance Program);
    • An employment and training program under the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 (SNAP E&T); or
    • An employment and training program for low-income households operated by a state or local government, so long as the program has at least one component that is equivalent to a component under SNAP E&T.
What if I have questions?

For additional information about SNAP in your state, to file an application for SNAP benefits, or to get information about how these eligibility rules apply to your household’s circumstances, contact your local SNAP office

You can also reach out to the Office of Student Support at or 937.328.6101 or 937.328.6502.

Do you have technology needs? Clark State has a Laptop Loaner Program to assist students who are SNAP E&T eligible. This program will allow students to check out a loaner laptop in order to stay connected with their instructors and complete their assignments.

If you meet the criteria below, we encourage you to submit an Office of Student Support Referral Form. Be sure to indicate you are requesting laptop assistance. Once submitted, you will be contacted by the Office of Student Support.

  • Reside in one of the following Ohio counties: Champaign, Clark, Green, Logan or Montgomery
  • Enrolled in a degree or certificate program at Clark State that aligns with an in-demand occupation.
  • Currently receiving SNAP (cash, food, or medical assistance) benefits or could be eligible to receive SNAP benefits. If you are not currently receiving SNAP benefits complete the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services Application for Cash, Food, or Medical Assistance and upload with the Office of Student Support Referral Form.

If you have specific questions regarding the SNAP E&T Laptop Loaner Program, please contact Nina Wiley at or 937.328.7936.

Questions? We're here to help!

Nina Wiley Dean, Student Engagement and Support Services