Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Appoints Dr. Sharon Bommer as Dean of Business and Applied Technologies

Clark State Appoints Dr. Sharon Bommer as Dean of Business and Applied Technologies

October 13, 2021

Clark State College has appointed Dr. Sharon Bommer to the position of Dean of Business and Applied Technologies.

Bommer joins Clark State following years of industry and educational experience including most recently as an assistant professor for the department of Engineering Management, Systems, and Technology at the University of Dayton.

“I’m delighted to join Clark State. I’m excited about the work that the college is performing to serve our community,” said Bommer. “As Dean of the School of Business and Applied Technologies, my focus is to support students, faculty, and staff to ensure success in their efforts.”

The Dean of Business and Applied Technologies at Clark State provides leadership for the programs in business, information technology, agriculture, engineering technology and directs the administrative and managerial functions of the school; supervises all school personnel; and advocates for the school. As administrator of the School of Business and Applied Technologies, the Dean is accountable for: programs and activities of the school; implementation of policies and decisions of the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, the President and the College Board of Trustees; maintaining productive relationships with other College leaders/areas; and representing the school’s interests to the leadership of the College through various councils and committees outside agencies as appropriate.

“I want to continue to enhance student educational experience and foster an inclusive environment where all feel welcomed,” said Bommer. “My goal is to understand our students to guarantee that we are meeting their needs. In addition, I will work to maintain an awareness of industry requirements so that our programs are focused on the demands of the changing market. Finally, I look forward to working with my team to expand our current capabilities of providing additional academic programs and resources in the business and applied technology fields.”

While at the University of Dayton (UD), Bommer taught and developed curriculum, course outlines, and instructional materials. She also created and taught the first totally synchronous Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) course with an international university in the School of Engineering (SOE) amongst her many accomplishments.

Prior to her time at UD, Bommer served in several additional qualifying positions including as a research scientist at the Air Force Institute of Technology and an adjunct professor in the department of Biomedical, Industrial and Human Factors Engineering at Wright State University.

“Dr. Bommer will bring a wealth of industry-based experience as well as higher education experiences that will allow us to strengthen the work of the School of Business and Applied Technologies,” said Dr. Tiffany Hunter, Provost and vice president of academic affairs at Clark State. “She is eager to learn more about Clark State and how she can contribute as a leader to overall student success.”

Bommer earned her Ph.D. in Engineering, Industrial and Human Systems from Wright State University in 2016. She has served on numerous professional, educational and community boards and most recently served as vice president of the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE), Dayton-Cincinnati Chapter Board for 2020–21. Bommer has also contributed to several professional written publications and offered many technical and invited presentations.

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu