Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Student Senate, ECE Program Host Duffle Shuffle Benefitting Local Children in Foster Care

Clark State Student Senate, ECE Program Host Duffle Shuffle Benefitting Local Children in Foster Care

August 19, 2021

The Clark State College Student Senate and Early Childhood Education (ECE) program students will host the Duffle Shuffle beginning August 23 through October 22.

The Duffle Shuffle organized in coordination with Clark County Family and Children Services will collect and provide personal hygiene items to children in foster care in Clark County.

“This cause started as our ECE students in our Socioemotional Development course learned about trauma and information regarding children in foster care they may face as teachers one day,” said Brielle Hastings, early childhood education instructor at Clark State. “My students and I felt the need to help as it is estimated 250,000 children in the United States enter foster care each year.”

Hastings said many children are given only 10 minutes to pack their belongings in a black trash bag they are provided by children's services.

“We hope to change this and provide each child with their own duffle bag filled with basic things they may need so they may only have to worry about packing their beloved things such as clothes, their favorite stuffed animal; things they do not want to leave behind,” she said.

Donation requests include but are not limited to: toothbrushes and toothpaste, hairbrushes and combs, deodorant, soap, shampoo and conditioner, and more. All items should be new and unopened if packaged.

The ECE students and Student Senate will be delivering the items and duffle bags to Clark County Family and Children Services in early November.

“Clark State students, faculty and staff strive to make a difference in our community,” said Dr. Jo Alice Blondin, president of Clark State. “The Duffle Shuffle is another creative way to reach out and make a difference. I am proud of the Student Senate and ECE students for partnering on this simple yet effective event supporting children in Clark County.”

Drop-off locations for donations will be available at the entrances of Clark State’s main campus location in Springfield.

“Members from the community can offer donations,” said Hastings. “They are free to reach out to me if he/she/they have any questions. We are hoping to donate at least 50 duffle bags with supplies, but more would be much appreciated.”

For more information, contact Brielle Hastings at: hastingsb@clarkstate.edu

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu