Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Will Celebrate Graduation with Two Commencement Ceremonies, Saturday, May 13

Clark State Will Celebrate Graduation with Two Commencement Ceremonies, Saturday, May 13

April 28, 2023

The Clark State College class of 2023 will celebrate graduation with two, in-person commencement ceremonies on Saturday, May 13 at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. The ceremonies are sponsored by Park National Bank.

“Commencement is an affirmation of our students’ perseverance and ability to overcome all obstacles. Walking across the stage and having their name called signifies their commitment to academic success,” said Nina Wiley, assistant vice president of student affairs at Clark State. “The energy on this day is truly special.”  

The 10 a.m. commencement ceremony will include graduates of the School of Arts and Sciences
and the School of Business and Applied Technologies.

Autumn Hickman will be the featured speaker at the 10 a.m. ceremony. Hickman is graduating from Clark State with an associate of science general transfer degree. She will continue her academic journey at Wright State University in Fall 2023, pursuing her bachelor’s degree in psychology. She is the recipient of the Wright Path Scholarship. After obtaining her bachelor’s degree she plans to continue her academic career at Wright State and the Ohio State University. Hickman’s goal is to become a neuropsychiatrist to treat, diagnose and research both medical and mental health-related illnesses.

“I’m graduating with my associate degree in science general transfer as the first step of many to becoming a neuropsychiatrist,” she said. “I recently became certified as a pharmacy technician assistant trainee and plan to pursue becoming a pharmacy technician assistant then a pharmacy technician while I continue approximately 10 to 12 more years of college.”

Hickman said she chose Clark State for her education because she earned a GED through the Clark State Aspire program in 2019.

“The staff was so lovely,” she said. “My commencement message is about my story and what I've been through to get to this point, which has been a lot.”

The 1 p.m. commencement ceremony will include graduates of the School of Health, Human and Public Services.

Trinity Boles-Amaya will be the featured speaker at the 1 p.m. ceremony. Boles-Amaya is graduating with an associate degree in Registered Nursing. After graduation she will continue her education by pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing this fall. She plans on working in multiple specialties of interest such as surgery and women’s health. Her end career goal is to become a Certified Nurse Midwife and help spread awareness of women’s health issues.

Boles-Amaya is a member of Phi Theta Kappa. She worked at Dayton Children’s Hospital and a hospital in Colorado while pursuing her degree. Throughout this past year she has been traveling back and forth between her home in Colorado and attending school at Clark State.

She chose Clark State for her education because the college showed interest in helping her pursue a degree.

“I went to multiple colleges and [many of] them did not accept my transfer credits,” she said. “But Clark State worked some magic and got me not just into the school, but into the program.”

Her graduation message will be to never give up and work hard. Hickman said she would encourage prospective students to consider Clark State for their education.

“Clark State will put the time and effort into making sure you are prepared to move into life with a good education and in the right mindset, as well,” she said.

The Clark State graduating class of 2023 also includes 53 high school students who will graduate with their high school diploma along with their associate degrees, or in the case of Jaidan Ballah, a short-term technical certificate.

Ballah earned her Real Estate Short-Term Technical Certificate as a College Credit Plus (CCP) student. In addition to the certificate, she earned 22 college credits.

“Taking the Short-Term Real Estate certificate (courses) while in high school has been one of the best decisions I have made,” she said. “My experience at Clark State has been easy and enjoyable from start to the end. Being able to take the classes that are available while still being in high school has changed my life and career path.”

Ballah said she is the first from London High School to take the Real Estate classes, thus creating a new path for students. She is a current intern with Kristina Murphy at Howard Hanna Real Estate. Following high school, she will sit for the required Real Estate exam. Ballah said her goal is to build a future for herself and others.

“I hope this opportunity creates a pathway for other high school students who were just like me – unsure of life after graduation,” she said. “I am thankful for the opportunities I have come across.”

The Clark State class of 2023 highlights:

• 1 Bachelor Degree
  • 488 Associate Degrees
  • 58 Certificates
  • 14 students receiving two credentials
  • 36 students graduating with a minimum 4.0 GPA
  • 138 students graduating with a minimum 3.5 GPA
  • 14 Active Duty, National Guard, Reservist or Veteran graduates
  • The oldest graduate is 62-years-old, the youngest graduate is 17-years-old
  • 53 College Credit Plus degrees
  • 23 student athletes
  • 85 Phi Theta Kappa members
  • 10 Epsilon Pi Tau members
  • 1 SALUTE Veteran National Honor Society members
  • 4 Scholars Program
  • 14 Honors Program
  • 3 RN Student Representatives
  • 6 Student Ambassadors
  • 8 Student Senators
  • 22 TRIO Student Support Services

The Clark State commencement ceremony program, list of graduates (PDF) and the live-stream of both ceremonies on May 13 can be found on Clark State’s website at: https://www.clarkstate.edu/academics/graduation/2023-graduation/

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu