Cooperative education is a unique form of education which shows you how to use classroom learning in the workplace. This combination of classroom study and related, paid and supervised on-the-job training prepares you to join the workforce after graduation.
Co-op has a profound effect on the way your learning takes place. You start to discover the practical application of what you are learning at Clark State because you are putting it to the test in a real job. In addition, you will:
- explore your career interests
- acquire academic credit for your Co-op experience
- earn money to help with college expenses
- sharpen the skills employers value
- apply classroom learning to on-the-job experience
- make valuable contacts in your field, and
- gain work experience you can show on your resume
The Co-op Program is available to students in the following technologies:
- Agriculture Business
- Business Management
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Computer Information Systems
- Drafting and Design Technology
- Electrical Maintenance
- Graphic Design
- Horticulture Industries
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Medical Office Systems Administration
- Stage Production
How does Co-op work?
Clark State operates on a semester calendar. This allows you to be placed in a work site for approximately 15 weeks each semester. Two plans are available:
Parallel – Work part-time while carrying either full- or part-time coursework. (95% of Co-op students use this option, typically working 20 hours per week.)
Alternating – Work full-time one quarter and attend classes the following quarter.
How do I apply?
To participate in the Co-op Program at Clark State, you must:
- be a currently enrolled student with a GPA of at least 2.0
- successfully complete the course Employability Skills (EBE 1000), and
- be committed to obtaining an associate’s degree from Clark State
If you meet these eligibility requirements, please contact the Office of Career Management to complete an application.
Cooperative Education Contact
Sara T. Landess Technology and Learning Center