Skip to Content
Community
Clark State CCP Student Earns Associates Degree at the Age of 14

Clark State CCP Student Earns Associates Degree at the Age of 14

May 7, 2021

Xenia High School student Lanna Kunzelman is expected to earn her high school diploma in 2024, but to say she has a head start on her college career would be an understatement. At the age of 14, Kunzelman will be the youngest Clark State College graduate to earn a two-year degree.

Kunzelman began taking College Credit Plus (CCP) courses through Clark State the summer following her 7th grade school year and will receive her Associates of Applied Sciences from Clark State on May 15.

“I started taking college credit classes as a full-time student when I was still twelve,” she said. “I feel completely overjoyed that all my hard work has paid off and lead to this great accomplishment.”

Through Clark State’s gateway transfer program, Kunzelman has been accepted into Wright State University to begin studying for her bachelor’s degree in biology. She is already registered for summer semester classes.

“It can be overwhelming at first, but after all of the help from the advisors at Clark State and everyone else that encouraged and supported me, it became obvious that this is what I was meant to do,” Kunzelman said.

Kunzelman said she has always dreamed of attending Harvard Medical School and hopes to achieve that following graduation from Wright State, but at Clark State, she found a “community” and the smaller classes allowed for a better understanding of the courses, a connection with the students and teachers and a better overall experience.

“Clark State gave me an amazing academic advisor who aided me in everything from choosing classes to registration and any questions I had along the way,” she said.

While a majority of Kunzelman’s classes were held in-person, she did take some online courses when Clark State pivoted to modified operations due to Covid-19 health and safety protocols.

Kunzelman said it has been a long and difficult journey through the pandemic, but it has made her a better student and prepared her for any modifications and online classes in the future.

“When the pandemic first began in the middle of spring semester last year, it was very difficult to adjust to an online format,” she said. “As time went on, it allowed me to be a better learner and to better adjust to changes. I struggled at first because I had never expected the classes to suddenly switch, and I had intended to take the remainder of my classes in-person.”

Kunzelman said any student considering CCP courses should talk to a current student to receive mentoring regarding struggles and successes on their journey. She said students also need a strong support system.

“My mom was a huge supporter,” she said. “She learned sign language to help me practice, drove me back and forth to my classes and made sure I had all of the tools I needed to succeed.”

Kunzelman’s parents - Samantha and Anthony - are extremely proud of Lanna and her accomplishments.  

“We knew she was intelligent from an early age and she continues to astonish us with her perseverance to any obstacle,” they said in a statement. “Lanna will be able to fulfill any dream she wants and we will always be here to support her in any of her crazy ideas.”

Kunzelman said amongst the many milestones she has already achieved, a special Clark State memory for her was taking graduation photos with Clark State President Dr. Jo Alice Blondin.

“Lanna is a unique and outstanding student, and we are very proud that she started at and chose Clark State. We are also grateful to Xenia Schools for their partnership,” said Blondin. “Lanna is on track to complete her Bachelor’s degree—-before she even finishes high school. Clark State provided her with a pathway that offered academic rigor and training and delivered incredible cost savings to her family. Ohio’s College Credit Plus is truly a game-changer for students and their families.”

The College Credit Plus program allows students to earn college credits while in high school, all for free. Students can enroll in courses at Clark State and receive credit for high school requirements and for college credit. These credits may be used at Clark State or for transfer to the college or university of choice after high school graduation. This state-funded program covers tuition, books and fees.

The Clark State class of 2021will graduate on May 15 with a virtual celebration. The class features 30 CCP students who will obtain their associate’s degree and also their high school diploma.

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu