Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Foundation Hosting Virtual Walk/Run to Raise Funds for Scholarship Programs

Clark State Foundation Hosting Virtual Walk/Run to Raise Funds for Scholarship Programs

October 1, 2020

Clark State Community College will host “Going the Distance for Clark State Scholarships,” a virtual walk/run event from October 1 - 31.

“It is our first time hosting a virtual walk/run event,” said Toni Overholser, director of the Clark State Foundation. “We’re excited to add a fun event the entire family can participate in, while raising money for student scholarships. October is the perfect time to get out and enjoy the fall fresh air.”

The Clark State Foundation supports individual and community enrichment by removing financial barriers and increasing college success through educational and cultural programs. Removing financial barriers for students helps ensure a high-quality college education is accessible to all residents of the area.

“The pandemic has impacted our low income and minority students at a disproportionately high rate,” said Overholser. “We have seen an increased need for scholarship support. Any donation is appreciated, and it will help our students achieve their dream of a better future.”

The Clark State Foundation supports:

Scholarships: Scholarships are awarded for financial need, academic performance or a specific program of study to both full-time and part-time students. The Clark State Foundation works closely with local businesses and generous donors to remove financial barriers for our students.

Scholars Program: The Foundation works with several local school districts to identify eligible middle school students who will become the first in their families to earn a college degree. Students are mentored throughout high school and upon graduation will be eligible to receive three years of college at Clark State at no cost to the students.

Project Jericho: Project Jericho provides in-depth visual and performing arts programming to youth and families across Clark County. We believe that engaging youth and families in the arts increases self-esteem and improves communication skills. We strive to teach youth that the process is more significant than the final product.

Overholser said student applications and requests for scholarship support have increased dramatically this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Scholarship recipient and first-generation college student Morgan Bowman is enrolled in the Clark State Registered Nursing program; she will also obtain an associate of applied science transfer degree.

“When I first became a Clark State student, I was working full-time in management at Navistar,” said Bowman. “I never had a desire to go to college or into the medical field until I adopted my son.”

Bowman’s son was born prematurely at 26 weeks and continues to have medical concerns. Having to leave her well-paying job to care for her son, Bowman said she thought her “journey with school” was over. At that point, she began applying for Clark State scholarships.

“Because of the scholarships I was awarded, I was able to stay in school,” said Bowman who plans to continue her education at Ohio University and pursue a BSN. Her “end goal” for her education is to become a pediatric nurse practitioner, if not a medical doctor.

Bowman received three more Clark State scholarships for fall semester which she says has kept her in her classes and fueled her determination.

“If they are willing to help us that much, then I am putting 110-percent into my school,” she said. “We have appointments every day for my son, so I stay up all night and study. If the Clark State Scholarship program is going to support us, I’m going to ensure they get a good return on their investment.”

Overholser said the decision to host a walk/run event was simply because the Foundation wanted to offer a fun event to support students. “Since we can’t gather in large numbers, we decided to host it virtually,” she said. “This gives people time to participate - on their own schedule - throughout the month.”

Each fundraiser participant will receive a Clark State Champion t-shirt and a pair of Clark State socks. Prizes will be awarded to the top three fundraisers. Those who would like to participate in the “Going the Distance for Clark State Scholarships” virtual walk/run can set up an account at: www.justgiving.com\campaign\clarkstate.

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu