Skip to Content
Community
Clark State’s Coleman Appointed Executive Director of Ohio Communication Association

Clark State’s Coleman Appointed Executive Director of Ohio Communication Association

February 15, 2017

Clark State Community College Professor of Communication, Michelle Coleman, has been appointed to serve as the executive director of the Ohio Communication Association (OCA). Coleman has been teaching at Clark State since 1999 and has been active with the OCA for more than 15 years.

“It is quite an honor to even be considered for this position and an even bigger responsibility,” said Coleman. “I was willing to serve because of my appreciation for what this organization can provide for educators in Ohio, and I want to give back to those who have helped me throughout my career.”

The OCA is an organization dedicated to the development and practice of human communication theory, research and application. The personal and professional experiences of membership include educators, public relations professionals, students, communication consultants and more.

“I am pleased that Michelle Coleman has been recognized for her leadership and excellence in her field of communication,” said Dr. Jo Alice Blondin, president of Clark State.

Coleman said it is critical to develop relationships with communication faculty members from across the state. She said the OCA has always provided the ability to network and present research “without breaking the bank.”

The executive director is responsible for maintaining continuity in the OCA organization; it is a position that is typically held for four-to-five years. “The executive director serves as the financial director of the organization, maintains membership records and works directly with the executive board to ensure the overall success of the organization,” she said. 

Coleman championed for – and succeeded in securing - Clark State as the site of the 2017 OCA conference which will be held October 6 and 7 on the Leffel Lane campus in Springfield. The conference will draw more than 100 people to the area. “Clark State sells itself; it is a beautiful campus with everything a mid-size conference like OCA needs to be a success,” she said. “We are centrally located in Ohio and right off of I-70, have beautiful classrooms and fantastic spaces for getting everyone together.”

At Clark State, Coleman is the coordinator for the Associate of Arts transfer degree in Communication; she teaches six communication courses and facilitates communication internships for students exploring their options in the field of communication. She is a member of the National Communication Association, is a speaker’s coach for TEDxDayton and serves as a mentor for Champion City Scholars. >

“Regardless of what I am involved in, my students are the reason I am successful,” said Coleman. “They challenge me to continue to grow, to keep the material fresh and to find ways to connect with them.”

Coleman said it is a privilege to be the executive director of OCA and a professor at Clark State. “My colleagues are like family, we have an administration who strives to always put students first, and we support the communities we serve,” she said. “I could not have asked for a better place to develop my career and raise my family.”

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu