Skip to Content
Community
Clark State’s Coons Named 2015 Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Silver Scholar

Clark State’s Coons Named 2015 Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Silver Scholar

March 25, 2015

Clark State Community College student Joseph “Sam” Coons has been named a 2015 Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Silver Scholar. Each Silver Scholar receives a $1,250 scholarship and a special medallion.

Coons will graduate with an associate of science transfer degree this May. He plans to continue his education at Wright State University. “It was a good decision on my part to attend Clark State before transferring to Wright State,” said Coons. “I studied under professors that challenged me to rise above my own expectations. They have prepared me well for Wright State University.”

Coons applied for the Coca-Cola Academic Team Program through the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, which administers the program and recognizes the scholars during ceremonies held in 38 states. Coons served as student president of Alpha Nu Lambda, Clark State’s Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, for the last year. In selecting the scholars, an independent panel of judges considers outstanding academic rigor, grade point average, academic and leadership awards and engagement in college and community service in the process.

“I was pleasantly surprised when I was informed that I had been selected as a Silver Scholar,” said Coons who also received a Riverside Research STEM scholarship this year.

The Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation sponsors the Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Program by recognizing 50 Gold, 50 Silver and 50 Bronze Scholars and providing nearly $200,000 in scholarships annually.

“Clark State Community College gave me opportunities for success,” said Coons. “I came lacking experience and confidence, and I transferred with knowledge, experience and increased confidence. Because of all the opportunities I have been afforded through Clark State, I hope to be able to contribute back in some way in the future.”

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu