Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Staff Named to AAWCC Women Under 40 Class of 2020

Clark State Staff Named to AAWCC Women Under 40 Class of 2020

March 30, 2020

The Board of Directors of the American Association for Women in Community Colleges (AAWCC) has selected two nominees from Clark State Community College as members of the Women Under 40, class of 2020. Each year the AAWCC recognizes women who are making a difference for their college and community.

Clark State alumna Antoinette (Toni) Yancey serves the college as a success coach and has been with Clark State for nine years. She is also a participant in the 2020 nationally recognized SOAR (Serving Our Own through Leadership and Retention) mentorship class established and led by Clark State President Dr. Jo Alice Blondin.

“I feel honored to receive an award such as this,” said Yancey. “The students drive my success. I feel that seeing them succeed and knowing that I played a part in that makes me feel that I have succeeded.”

Yancey began her Clark State career as a work-study student and was hired upon graduation. She went on to earn her bachelor and master’s degrees and was selected as the point person of the Great Lakes Completion Grant based on her commitment to student success and ability to connect with the diverse learners the college serves.

“Toni Yancey is an asset to our team,” said Blondin. “She is a Clark State graduate and for that reason, she is especially relatable to the students. She is an exceptional advisor and mentor for students.”

Yancey was appointed as advisor for student athletes based on her familiarity with collegiate athletics and the rules required to maintain eligibility and is also an adjunct instructor in the Management program, where she applies knowledge gained from her Master of Business Management degree.

“Toni is a team player and a budding leader who places the needs of students and their well-being above all,” said Blondin. “Students constantly seek her advice for academic, career and sometimes personal guidance. She always takes the time to ensure they have her full attention. She receives recognition from students, faculty and staff on a regular basis.

Yancey has also served on Staff Senate for several years; including in the position of Staff Senate president.

Taylor Roberts holds the position of grants coordinator at Clark State. She was promoted to this position in 2019 after her exceptional performance as the grant writer.

“Taylor is passionate about student success and works to eliminate barriers and increase resources for our students, faculty and staff,” said Blondin. “In her three years at Clark State, she has secured $2,228,062.00 in grant funding for the college. Taylor is a dedicated team member who works across the organization to increase effectiveness and improve outcomes.”

Roberts has improved the grant process for Clark State, including establishing defined procedures for faculty and staff to recommend grant projects. She has implemented improved grant reporting policies and procedures. She was also selected as a mentee for the college’s prestigious SOAR Mentorship program.

“I am honored to be nominated and to receive this award,” said Roberts. “I love Clark State and the overall mission of access and equity of community colleges, and it is wonderful to be recognized in a field about which I am so passionate.”

In addition, Roberts serves as a mentor in the Clark State Scholars program which provides support throughout high school for first generation, low income students in order to prepare them for college; and on the Warder Literacy Board.

Roberts is currently pursuing her Master of Science in Education degree at the University of Dayton.

“My success is driven by a passion for education and student success, rooted in a belief that everyone deserves access to a high-quality education that can lead to a better future for themselves and their family,” said Roberts. “My goal is to continue learning about myself and the best way I can be of service to Clark State and community colleges as a whole.”

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu