Skip to Content
Community
Clark State to Host 9th Volley for the Cure to Raise Breast Cancer Funds, Awareness

Clark State to Host 9th Volley for the Cure to Raise Breast Cancer Funds, Awareness

October 17, 2016

Clark State Community College will host the 9th annual Volley for the Cure on Wednesday, October 26 in the gymnasium on the Leffel Lane campus. Festivities will begin at 5 p.m.

“I wanted to raise awareness for cancer, particularly breast cancer," said Nina Wiley, Volley for the Cure coordinator and dean of enrollment for Clark State. “I wanted to raise monies for the cause with an event that would give back to our community.”

Teams from Clark State, Bobby Fisher Distributing and The Assurant Group will participate in Volley for the Cure. All monies raised are donated to the Breast Cancer Endowment Fund of Clark County. Additional activities include face painting, pumpkin painting, concessions, a 50/50 raffle and a silent auction.

“Bobby Fisher Distributing has been extremely generous each year donating (auction) items,” said Wiley. “Assurant is also donating items this year so we can raise additional money.”

Breast cancer survivor Kim Martin, was recognized at a past Volley for the Cure event. She has been with Clark State for more than six years and works with Wiley as an administrative assistant. “It was nice being recognized by co-workers, with my family and friends present,” said Martin. “I was able to speak, and they gave me the game ball to put in my breast cancer room.”

Martin was diagnosed with breast cancer in April of 2003. She has been cancer-free since May 9, 2003. “I declared myself cancer free after my surgery on May 9, 2003,” she said. “My philosophy is: they took the cancer cells out so I’m healed!” 

Martin said although “it may sound strange,” she feels breast cancer helped her find her passion for helping others understand where they were, where they are and where they are headed in their fight. She encourages cancer patients to “stay prayed up and positive” and know they can find peace following a diagnosis. “Men can have breast cancer too,” she said. “Always, always do your breast self-exams; they are very important. I’m proud to say that I’m a 13-year, 5-month breast cancer survivor.”

As for Volley for the Cure, Martin said she enjoys the hype among Clark Sate students and staff, and she wouldn’t miss the event. “It’s a fun event, and the monies raised go to a great organization. Come out and support a good cause,” she said.

Wiley said she strives to keep Volley for the Cure a community event and include local businesses and students. Event shirts are designed by Clark State graphic design students, voted on by faculty, staff and students and printed by Berner Screen Print in Springfield.

“The students are recognized for their design work,” said Wiley. “It’s great involving the students.” This year’s event items include a table tent designed by Ethan Barlage; banner and t-shirt designed by Christopher Dinnell; and a detailed poster designed by Alexis James.

Wiley encourages family, friends and the community to come watch the volleyball games and participate in the event. Last year Volley for the Cure raised close to $800. Overall, Volley for the Cure has raised $3,484.72 for breast cancer research and awareness since 2008.

“I am so proud of how this event has grown and the money and awareness that we raise; it brings the community together to support the cause,” said Wiley. “It’s an energetic event that is so much fun, but also providing a good for our community.”

The winning volleyball team will be recognized with a reward from Clark State.

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu