Skip to Content
Community
Stansbury Transitions to Clark State Women’s Head Basketball Coach

Stansbury Transitions to Clark State Women’s Head Basketball Coach

July 22, 2015

Assistant coach for the Clark State Community College women’s basketball team, Stefan Stansbury, has been appointed interim head coach for the Lady Eagles team for the 2015-16 season.

Stansbury will fill the shoes of former head coach Markell Cox who has accepted the position of assistant coach for the women’s basketball team and head coach of the women’s golf team at Urbana University. His tenure will begin immediately.

“I have been the assistant coach for five months prior to this transition, and I’ve been working hand-in-hand with Coach Cox. The athletics staff wishes him the best on his new position,” said Stansbury.

Stansbury said he is an avid student and fan of the game of basketball. “I was a two-sport athlete – basketball and football – at Southwind High School in Memphis, Tennessee, where I served as a two-year starter on varsity,” said Stansbury. “I also played AAU basketball throughout high school.”

He got his first taste of coaching in college, where he coached a MTSU club basketball team to the championship game during the intramural season. “I also served as the head coach of AAU team Murfreesboro Suns 17-U; and as assistant coach of the Dayton Lady Hoopstars 17-U AAU program this summer.” He has also worked as a scorekeeper and referee for competitive basketball games and tournaments with Murfreesboro Parks and Recreation.

The Clark State Lady Eagles basketball team boasts 11 new recruits from the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus areas. Stansbury said the current roster shows signs of potential and promise, but he will work to actively fill openings before the start of the season. “We have a couple of transfer guards who have developed some playing experience on the college level already which will be beneficial to the team,” he said. “Along with players that have served as starters and role players on established high school teams in the area.”

Clark State Director of Athletics Ken Laake, Stansbury and Cox all reached out to the recruits and their families to assure them of a smooth transition. “It is important that they know we all have their best interest at heart,” said Laake. “The willing participation of Markell Cox in this process will make this transition smooth and seamless.”

As interim head coach, Stansbury said he looks forward to continuing in a positive direction and establishing a winning tradition, while instilling lifelong lessons in each student athlete that comes in contact with the program. “Since academics are our main priority, the retention and success rate of our student athletes is vital to my position as head coach,” he said.

Stansbury’s expectations for this year’s team are simple, “Produce in the classrooms first and foremost. As we just recently joined the Ohio Community College Athletic Conference, I expect us to compete right away and with the athleticism and potential we have in this year’s roster. I feel pretty confident going forward.”

Stansbury said it is a pleasure for him to transition to interim head coach of the women’s basketball team at Clark State. “I am completely invested and extremely grateful for the opportunity to lead this program,” he said. “I look forward to hitting the ground running and bringing our women’s basketball program back to life. My goal is to establish winning attitudes in the hearts and minds of these young adults while carrying out the College’s mission and vision statements. Soar Eagles!”

The Clark State Lady Eagles basketball season begins October 31.

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu