Skip to Content
Getting Started FAQs

Getting Started FAQs

There is no such thing as a stupid question!

Choosing a college and registering for classes are big steps and you need to make sure you are well informed so you make the best choices for your academic career. Listed below are some of the most common questions asked by new students. If your question isn't on here, call us or ask a question online. We'd love to hear from you!

What is the difference between credit and noncredit courses?
Credit courses can be accumulated toward a Clark State degree or certificate, or, depending upon the course, transferred to a four-year college or university. You will need to complete an admissions application before you can take credit courses at Clark State.

Noncredit courses are usually shorter courses taken to achieve a particular skill for career enhancement, personal development or just for fun. There's more information about noncredit courses under the Academics heading.

What is the transfer degree program?
If you want to get a four-year degree and save some money at the same time, this program is for you. Enroll at Clark State for the first two years of a bachelor's degree--then transfer to a four-year institution as a junior. Most credits transfer, but you should confirm this with the receiving education institution.

What is the difference between a transfer degree and a technical degree?
A transfer degree such as an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science is a “two-year” degree, designed to transfer to a baccalaureate (4 year) college or university. Completing an AA or AS degree will enable you to start a bachelor’s degree at junior level status. Location, cost, and convenience are benefits of completing a transfer degree at a community college prior to transitioning to a bachelor’s degree program.

A technical degree is also a “two-year” degree but is designed to enable the student to enter the workforce quickly with concentrated job readiness skills.

Associate degrees are typically “two years” in length when a student attends Clark State on a full-time basis.

What if I want to get a four-year degree?
We can help! Clark State offers bachelor's degrees in Addiction and Integrated Treatment Studies, Manufacturing Technology Management, and Web Design and Development. We also have agreements with many four-year colleges and universities that will allow you to take up to two years at Clark State and transfer all your credits, so that you could enter Wright State, Ohio State, Wittenberg or many other universities as a junior.

Will all of my classes transfer?
All or most of your classes will transfer if you seek and obtain an AA or AS transfer degree. Clark State has developed articulation agreements in conjunction with numerous regional 4 year colleges and universities to enable a smooth and deliberate transition process. If you complete technical courses or a technical degree it is important to note that while some of your courses will transfer, some may not transfer; much of this is contingent upon the college or university you for which you would like to transfer. Technical degree students who want to complete a bachelor’s degree may want to consider such programs as the Community College Alliance at Franklin University, the CLIMB program at Wilberforce, or the LEAD program at Wittenberg.

How do I get my credits from another college transferred to Clark State?
If you would like to transfer credits from an accredited college or university to Clark State, you will need to have your transcript mailed directly from that college to the Admissions Office at Clark State. Some credits may not apply to specific degree programs. The credits must have been earned within a certain time period to be considered current and acceptable. Until you are notified, you are responsible for not duplicating courses for which you may obtain transferable credit.

What if I can't afford college?
Going to Clark State may cost less than you think. We'll work to find the best payment arrangements for your financial situation: grants, loans, delayed payment plan or credit card. Maybe you'll qualify for one of our scholarships. Call the Financial Aid Office at 937.328.6034.

How long will it take to get my financial aid processed?
There are many important steps in processing financial aid. If you need assistance with tuition, first request a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) from our Financial Aid Office. By filing the FAFSA, you will be considered for all aid for which you might be eligible. You should complete the FAFSA at least two months prior to starting classes or as soon as your federal tax return is completed. You will need to reapply for financial aid each year. Refer to the Financial Aid area for details.

Are Clark State's courses as good as I'd get at a four-year college?
Yes. In fact, our students who transfer to a four-year college after completing two years at Clark State tend to get better grades than the students who started out at the four-year college. In addition, many of our students appreciate the personal attention they get here. Clark State boasts an average class size of 15. You won't find that at many larger schools.

Our faculty are highly qualified. Nearly 20 percent of our full-time faculty have a doctorate degree, and the average faculty member has a master's degree with 12 years of teaching experience. Our classes are not taught by students assistants, which is the case in some larger institutions.

I'm nervous about going back to school. Does anyone else feel this way?
We hear that a lot. That's why we have placement tests to make sure you're in classes where you can be successful. Our college preparatory education courses can help you brush up on some skills that you haven't used in a while, and we also provide free tutorial services both day and night for individual tutoring sessions. For more information about these services, contact our Success Center at 937.328.3847. Now that's personal attention.

Is the New Student Orientation mandatory?
At New Student Orientation you will learn about campus departments such as financial aid, tutoring services, campus security and advising. You will also learn how to use your Course Catalog and the Schedule Booklet. Questions you may have about your major (petitioning requirements, which classes transfer into and from Clark, class sequencing and differences between technical and transfer degrees) are also addressed. Best of all, you get to meet some of your fellow classmates! It is not mandatory but is highly suggested that you attend.

How do I decide what classes to take and when?
An academic advisor will help you schedule your first semester of classes at Clark State. Beginning your second semester, a faculty advisor will assist you with your class schedule. It is important to take any developmental classes first. This will help you follow the sequence of classes required for your major without interruption.

Should I take online classes?
Success in an online course requires maturity and a strong commitment by you. You should be self-motivated and have basic computer and technology skills (i.e. document production, email). Online course require at least as much time as on-campus courses, so time management skills are extremely important.

Why aren't the CPE classes offered online?
College preparatory classes are designed to help prepare you for college level classes. These foundational classes require much time and energy from the student. Working one-on-one with an instructor is more conducive to success in these foundational classes.

I want to come to Clark State, but I don’t know what to study.
Many college students start college but don’t know what to major to choose. In these cases the advising center suggests that you take broad, essential courses your first semester here. The advising center will refer an undecided to student to the Career Services office to further discuss career and major options.

What if I want to change my major?
If you decide to change majors, you should consult your faculty advisor for advice. When changing majors, classes that were counted toward graduation may not be with the new major. Other factors to consider are financial aid and scholarship money received. Scholarships are sometimes awarded based on the program of study. Your advisor will help you through the process.

How long are the waiting lists for the health programs?
The waiting list for Registered Nursing, Practical Nursing, Medical Laboratory Technology and Physical Therapist Assistant varies from year to year. You should add your name as soon as possible. Depending on the program you are interested in, you may need to take certain courses prior to petitioning.

Learn more about the space-limited health programs.

What can I do while I am waiting to get into the RN or LPN programs?
While on the waiting list, you are encouraged to take any of the non-nursing courses (any course without the letters LPN or NUR preceding the numbers) included in the curriculum of the RN program. Many of these courses have pre- and/or co-requisites, which are listed with the course description in the College catalog, schedule booklet, and online. Not all courses are offered every semester. You should seek guidance from your assigned faculty advisor prior to registering for courses each semester.

Prior to starting the first clinical course, you must have recently (within previous 24 months) completed MST 181 Nurse Aide Training course or have current credentials as a State Tested Nurse's Aide (STNA). In certain instances, the student can meet the STNA requirement in another manner.

What are humanities and social science electives?
Humanities and social science elective are courses required for most degree programs at Clark State. They encourage development in communication/ interpersonal skills, methods of inquiry, culture and human awareness and personal development skills.

What are technical electives?
Technical electives are required in some degrees at Clark State. They are courses that directly relate to your major.

Where can I go to get help with my classes?
We encourage students to visit the Success Center if they need help with their classes. The Success Center staff will arrange a tutor, provide reference material or let you use one of the many computerized instructional programs.

What kinds of student activities are there?
You will find a variety of student activities at Clark State. Athletics include men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, women's softball and men's baseball. Intramurals sports are also offered throughout the year.

Two of our most popular student organizations include Student Senate and Phi Theta Kappa. Student Senate is an elected group of students that represent our student body. They sponsor several events throughout the year.

Phi Theta Kappa is the international honor society for two-year colleges. Clark State's chapter, Alpha Nu Lambda, was established in 1987. Members of Phi Theta Kappa must have at least a 3.5 grade point average and 18 credit hours toward an associate's degree.

The Clark State Performing Arts Center offers all types of entertainment, from children's events and student productions to the Signature Series that includes national and international performers.

What is the Work-study Program?
Students interested in part-time work can apply for our Work-study Program. Students work a maximum of 18 hours at the College. Many students are able to work in their fields of study helping them gain valuable experience.

Can I use the gym and tennis courts?
The gym and tennis courts are provided to our students for their recreational use. There are specific times when the gym is not available due to practice sessions or games. Open hours for the gym are posted in the Wellness Center.

Questions? We're here to help!

Admissions - Springfield Sara T. Landess Technology and Learning Center


Admissions - Beavercreek Greene Center


Admissions - Bellefontaine Ohio Hi-Point


Admissions - Xenia Xenia YMCA