Skip to Content
College Life
Pregnant and Parenting Accommodation Procedures

Pregnant and Parenting Accommodation Procedures

Students can reach out to the Office of Accessibility Services (“OAS”) to request Title IX accommodations due to pregnancy or childbirth at any point during the pregnancy by completing the Title IX Accommodation Request Form. Students may not be aware of their rights, therefore it is the responsibility of faculty or staff to inform them and direct those who are asking for Title IX accommodations to OAS immediately. Note, students are not required to register a pregnancy related condition with OAS unless the student is requesting accommodations related to pregnancy/parenting. Once students connect with OAS, they may be asked to provide documentation to substantiate requested accommodations. OAS will work with the student to understand and determine their needs.

As an accommodation, students will be permitted to take an Incomplete in any course they are enrolled in during pregnancy/childbirth. Students will be asked to have their doctor complete a documentation form. On the form, the doctor will recommend the needed accommodations and/or designate a time period for the student to remain away from classes. Once that time period lapses, additional documentation will be required in order to extend accommodations.

Options for Returning

1. Students will be permitted to complete the classes they were enrolled in at the time of their medical leave. Students will work with OAS to complete a Title IX Course Extension Plan where the student establishes new deadlines for course work. Students will be expected to complete all course work by the end of the Incomplete Grade due date for the semester they first requested the Course Extension (recorded as an Incomplete) accommodation. Students will be expected to adhere to these deadlines or provide additional documentation as to why the deadlines cannot be met. Students will work independently and with faculty to complete the missed coursework.

  • A course extension accommodation can only be implemented once the Course Extension Plan is in place. The student will have one week to complete a course extension plan after the accommodation is granted. If the plan is not completed and there is no additional communication with OAS, the accommodation will be voided.
  • Please note that the student will be responsible for obtaining all books/materials needed for classes continued in a later term. Students will not be charged lab fees already paid in a prior term for the same class.
  • Alternatives may be available given specific student circumstances.
  • The USDOE guidance states “When the student returns to school, she must be reinstated to the status she held when the leave began, which should include giving her the opportunity to make up any work missed. A school may offer the student alternatives to making up missed work, such as retaking a semester, taking part in an online course credit recovery program, or allowing the student additional time in a program to continue at the same pace and finish at a later date, especially after longer periods of leave. The student should be allowed to choose how to make up the work.”
    ii. Depending on the particular course, it may be appropriate for the College to permit the student to retake the semester or substitute a similar course.
    d. Faculty will assign a temporary “I” to be monitored by the respective Academic Dean. Faculty will submit for a grade change after the last due date outlined in the Course Extension Plan unless notified by OAS of the need for adjusted due dates.

2. Students will be permitted to withdraw from their classes at the point when they last attended classes. If a student totally withdraws (ceases enrollment) during a semester, they may owe a portion of their financial aid back. Since each situation is unique, students should call or meet with the Director of Financial Aid or designee for details specific to their situation before deciding on a withdrawal.

3. Students can resume their classes in the same semester as their Title IX related need and be permitted to use accommodations such as: deadline extension, alternative assignments for one-time projects or participation points etc.

If a student feels they have been discriminated against because of pregnancy or parenting, they may file a complaint:

  • By completing the online Sex Discrimination Form located on the College website.
  • With the USDOE OCR, even if the student has not filed a complaint with the school. If the student files with OCR, make sure the student does so within 180 days of when the discrimination took place.
  • In court, even if the student has not filed a complaint with the school or with OCR.