Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Police Academy Graduates, Sisters Carry on Father’s Law Enforcement Legacy

Clark State Police Academy Graduates, Sisters Carry on Father’s Law Enforcement Legacy

May 5, 2023

Antonia Turner and Annmeri Turner knew at a young age that a “desk job” was not a career either of them wanted. The sisters, daughters of retired Springfield Police Division (SPD) Lieutenant Lou Turner, graduated from the Clark State Basic Peace Officer Training Academy following the completion of their bachelor’s degrees at Wittenberg University. Both have degrees in sociology with a focus on criminology.

Lou Turner is also an alumnus of the Clark State Police Academy. Originally from Shadyside, Ohio, Lou was encouraged to move to Springfield and join the police division by a friend who assured him that Springfield was “pretty exciting” he told the hubspringfield.com in 2020.

In February 1992, he entered the Clark State police academy and began his patrol in June of 1992. Lou served as a street patrolman for eight years and worked all three shifts. He then became a detective in the Drug Unit Narcotics Division for eight years. After four years he was promoted to sergeant, and in 2008 he was promoted to lieutenant.

His daughters joined the SPD in 2020 and 2022, respectively.

Annmeri Turner joined the SPD in July of last year. She said women in law enforcement allows other women and girls to see themselves in a field of work that they may not view as possible for them.

“It allows them to picture themselves in the uniform. I feel it opens a door for more opportunities to other women who may want to join this career,” Annmeri said.

Annmeri said the hardest part of the Academy wasn’t the physical or mental aspects, it overall “just feels like a long process.”

“However, knowing the outcome and knowing what opportunities were out there upon finishing the academy, kept me motivated,” she said. “Having a great support system through my family, classmates, instructors, and department was extremely helpful.”

Annmeri said she enjoys working at the same department as her sister and it’s great to be able to share this opportunity.

“We’re the first sisters to work at Springfield PD together which I think is also really neat,” she said. “It’s been a blessing to follow in our dad’s footsteps. Growing up around the department and being able to work here has been truly a great experience, a full circle moment.”

Annmeri’s older sister Antonia Turner has been a patrolman with the SPD since August of 2020.

“Being a female in this line of work is not easy but it’s the perfect career to be in,” said Antonia. “Women in law enforcement have to be mentally and physically strong.”

Antonia said the most challenging part of the academy for her was the physical part.

“I went to the academy just months after finishing college, so the classroom portion of the academy felt like school again to me,” she said. “But the physical fitness runs throughout the academy to pass the test to get hired was difficult.”

Antonia said much of what she learned at the Clark State police academy was new to her such as the taser, pepper spray, defense tactics, defensive driving, and the basics of law enforcement.

“I think I enjoyed the defense tactics and the shooting range the most during the academy,” she said. “I grew a lot during those months.”

Antonia said being a female in law enforcement is beneficial in many ways “on the street.”

“Many times, kids or other females that officers run into while at work want to speak to female versus male officers,” she said. “We need more women in law enforcement.”

Antonia said she enjoys knowing she helped someone with a tough situation.

“I’ve had multiple incidences where a person had lost a loved one or was going through a rough patch and slowing down and really talking to that person about what’s going on truly makes a difference,” she said.

Antonia said being a police officer at SPD has opened her eyes to many things in the world and brought her friendships and memories.

“This job has also taught me the toughest lessons and has put me through some of my biggest physical and mental battles I’ve ever experienced,” she said. “SPD has also given me many great opportunities to further my knowledge in law enforcement.”

Now working alongside her younger sister, Antonia says she is truly blessed.

“When she got hired and started on the street, I felt like I had a different sisterly protection for her. I worry for her safety, but I know she will be strong and get through whatever is put in front of her,” said Antonia. “It also great knowing both of us are carrying on my father’s legacy at the department. My dad was a great leader and many people looked up to him in the department. I know my sister and I will be just as strong as he was as we go through our career at SPD.”

Clark State offers four peace officer training academies each year—four-month daytime academies and six-month evening academies are each held twice a year. Each academy is limited to 25 cadets.

Cadets must be 21 years of age at the time they take the state certification exam. Cadets must also have a valid Ohio driver’s license, a high school diploma or GED equivalent and cannot have any felony or violent misdemeanor convictions.

Those interested in enrolling in the Clark State Basic Peace Officer Training Academy should call 937.328.6050 for more information or complete an online inquiry form at https://www.clarkstate.edu/academics/basic-police-officer-inquiry-form/ .

Prospective cadets are required to complete the OPOTA application and other required forms. A candidate is required to pass a physical assessment test, a physical, a drug screen and be fingerprinted for a BCI background check.

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu