Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Theatre Arts Program and Springfield Arts Council to Hold Auditions for Fall Production of The Crucible

Clark State Theatre Arts Program and Springfield Arts Council to Hold Auditions for Fall Production of The Crucible

August 24, 2023

The Clark State College Theatre Arts Program (TAP) in collaboration with the Springfield Arts Council Youth Arts Ambassadors will hold auditions for the fall production of The Crucible by Arthur Miller.

The play celebrates its 70th anniversary this year - a classic American Drama - yet its themes still resonate today. 

“Last year, I met with Krissy Brown, Associate Creative Director at the Springfield Arts Council, about a possible collaboration between their young artists group Youth Arts Ambassadors and Clark State's Theatre Arts Program,” said Theresa Lauricella, professor of theatre and program coordinator at Clark State. “We had a delightful conversation during which we discussed one title- ‘The Crucible.’ Krissy had been wanting to direct it and the show holds a place in my heart - I played Abigail as a student at Clark State many years ago - such an amazing role to play. And the ball started rolling from there.”

Brown said she is thrilled to have an opportunity to dig into the script of The Crucible and bring it to life, during its 70th anniversary, to show the community that the basic plot of “gossip can ruin a town and a person’s life” is still relevant today.

“The Crucible has been my favorite play since middle school, as I was a pre-teen fascinated with the Salem Witch Trials and read everything I could find to learn more about them,” said Brown. “After finally visiting Salem last fall to see all the sites that remain there, I knew I had to direct this show as soon as possible.”

The classic Tony-Award-winning play written by American playwright Arthur Miller celebrates its 70th anniversary. Per the Dramatists Play Service, the play focuses upon a young farmer, his wife, and a young servant-girl who maliciously causes the wife’s arrest for witchcraft. The farmer brings the girl to court to admit the lie—and it is here that the monstrous course of bigotry and deceit is terrifyingly depicted. The farmer, instead of saving his wife, finds himself also accused of witchcraft and ultimately condemned with a host of others.

Auditions will take place at the Clark State Performing Arts Center Turner Studio Theatre, 300 South Fountain Avenue and will be held on Tuesday, September 5 at 7 p.m. with callbacks on Wednesday, September 6 at 7 p.m.

Clark State Theatre Arts Program and Youth Arts Ambassadors seek actors from both groups and the community.  There are 10 male and 10 female roles. Those auditioning should prepare a 1-minute contemporary, dramatic monologue. A headshot and resume are preferred.

Pre-registration is open at: https://forms.gle/FGpR72joHawkEspk9

Performances dates are October 27, 28, 29 and November 3, 4, and 5. Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. There will also be a matinee performance on Friday, November 3.  Rehearsals begin mid-September

“(I am) very excited to work with new actors and breathe new life into this brilliant, classic script,” said Brown.

For more information about the auditions, please contact Theresa Lauricella at 937.328.3880 or lauricellat@clarkstate.edu.   

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu