Skip to Content
Community
Governor DeWine Appoints New Clark State Board Members, Doyle and Phillips to Retire, Sharon Evans Reappointed

Governor DeWine Appoints New Clark State Board Members, Doyle and Phillips to Retire, Sharon Evans Reappointed

November 8, 2022

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine has appointed two new members to the Clark State College Board of Trustees (Board) and reappointed Sharon Evans to continue in her role as a Board member. All three board appointments run through November 30, 2028.

Two long time Board members, Jim Doyle and Brad Phillips will retire from their roles with the Clark State Board of Trustees.

Doyle said it has been a pleasure and an honor for him to serve 24 years on the Board of Trustees and to be a part of the expansion and successes of Clark State.

“Special moments have been hearing regularly how Clark State's compassion fostered student success and changed student’s lives,” he said. “Witnessing the joys of graduation proved to me that my service was absolutely worthwhile.”

Clark State President Dr. Jo Alice Blondin said Doyle has chaired the Board as well as several other committees. In 2014, Doyle was awarded the Maureen C. Grady Award for Special Achievement by the Ohio Association of Community Colleges (OACC), and in 2019 Doyle was elected chair of the OACC.

“His longevity represents a total transformation for Clark State in facilities, enrollment, programs, and fundraising,” she said. “It is impossible to look at the history of Clark State without seeing the important part that Jim’s leadership has played in it for more than two decades.”

Brad Phillips said when he joined the Clark State Board 12 years ago, he did not anticipate the outstanding people he would meet, fulfilling experiences he would have and appreciation he would gain for the impact that Clark State has on its’ students, their families, and their communities.

“I’m proud to say I was a small part of helping Dr. Blondin, her executive council, faculty and staff change the lives of our students,” he said. “It was 12 years well spent.”

“Brad Phillips’s distinguished service to the students and communities that Clark State serves is reflected in Clark State’s strong financial picture, its performance in student success, and his peerless leadership as Board Chair during the two years of the COVID pandemic,” said Blondin.

Phillips opted to retire from the Board in order to serve as President of the BSA Tecumseh Council for the next two years.

“Fortunately, I was able to recruit Becka Rowland-Buckley to agree to be considered to fill my spot, she was appointed and will do a fantastic job and bring new energy and insight to the Board,” he said.

Clark State Board appointee Becka Rowland-Buckley is an accomplished and active Greene County community member with an impressive record of professional and civic accomplishments. She has deep ties to not only Greene County but also Clark County, her family settled in Springfield in the late 1960’s. Her first degree is from Clark State Community College.

“Becka Rowland-Buckley’s extensive experience in Human Resources, teambuilding, and communications will be a great complement to the Board, as will her understanding our students and the region,” said Blondin.

Rowland-Buckley’s service includes 20 years as a civilian civil engineer program manager for the United States Air Force and she recently retired after 25 years as the leader and architect of the Serco Workplace and Facilities Management Solutions, a global facilities and technology consulting practice. She has served as a Board Member at Antioch University Midwest, and is serving on the boards of Greene Inc., Beavercreek Women’s League, and the Greene County Family Violence Prevention Center.

Rowland-Buckley is a sought-after speaker in the areas of employee development, change management, facilities technology, and future trends in facilities management. She lives in Beavercreek with her husband, Greene County Commissioner Rick Perales.

“I am thrilled to be able to serve Clark State Community College. As our workforce continues to transform, Clark State’s ability to pivot quickly to meet an ever-changing work environment is critical to the economic health of our state and our community,” she said. “Clark State’s unique relationship with the military, military families, and local military installations is extraordinary, as a former military spouse, the benefits Clark State provides this community ensures we are honoring the very people that keep our country safe and strong.”

Also, newly appointed to the Clark State Board of Trustees is Ben Vollrath. Vollrath is the first BOT appointee from Logan County, Ohio.

Vollrath joined the Logan County Chamber of Commerce as President in August of 2018. His primary focus is advancing the economic development efforts of the community.  He earned his bachelor’s degree from Wheaton College in Chicago Illinois and his MBA from Capital University in Columbus.  

“Ben Vollrath’s background in economic and workforce development will positively impact the college as we continually respond to workforce needs,” said Blondin. “The College is also happy to welcome its first Board member who represents Logan County.”

In 2018 Vollrath received his designation as a Certified Economic Developer by the International Economic Development Council.  

“I am excited to be part of a great institution that understands the need and means to equip today’s workforce with academic, professional, and technical skills. I look forward to increasing the ties and impact between Clark State and my home area of Logan County as well as the entire Clark State service territory,” he said.

Sharon Evans has served on the Board for 17 years. She has served as vice chairperson and chairperson during her tenure.

“Sharon Evans’ reappointment to the Board is a great benefit to our students and the College, as she is deeply committed to the mission and values of Clark State, and a tireless champion of student success,” said Blondin. “She is extremely knowledgeable about the College’s planning and operations, and her continuity on the Board will lead Clark State to even greater heights.”

Evans said she is thrilled to be reappointed to the Clark State Board and she looks forward to continuing to serve the students, staff and faculty.

“Clark State continues to be just a shining spot in our community,” she said.

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu