Skip to Content
Community
OCCAC Names Clark State Women’s Basketball Coach Corey Steinke Coach of the Year

OCCAC Names Clark State Women’s Basketball Coach Corey Steinke Coach of the Year

March 24, 2023

Clark State College Women’s basketball coach Corey Steinke was named 2022-23 Coach of the Year by the Ohio Community College Athletic Conference (OCCAC).

“I was very surprised about the award,” said Steinke. “I know in the past the award is usually presented to the coach who wins the conference. I am very humbled and proud that the other coaches saw the progress and growth of my program from year one to year two.”

Steinke took over the Clark State women’s basketball program in 2021. His goal was to have a winning record that would lead to a change in culture.

“I knew coming into the job it would be a process, but we were able to achieve a winning season in just my second year,” he said. “We also have increased our number of Academic All Americans from year one to year two which we are extremely proud of. Changing the culture is the hardest part but this team and coaches are making it easier for us to do.”

Steinke said the team goals moving forward are simple: keep winning, keep recruiting great student athletes who complete their degrees or transfer to a four-year institute and graduate.

Steinke is a graduate of Wright State University and holds a master’s degree in educational leadership. Since joining the women’s basketball team as head coach, Steinke has also coordinated successful basketball camps for local middle and high school students, and prospective players.

“Our players are students first and athletes second,” said Steinke in a past statement. “We look for character, leadership and all-around good student-athletes.”

The OCCAC, which promotes and fosters community college athletics for men and women at the state level, has been around since 1993 in its current state. Prior to 1993, the OCCAC was known as the Ohio Junior College Athletic Conference (OJCAC) and the Turnpike Conference.

Currently, the OCCAC has full or limited sport members from 11 community colleges in the state of Ohio. 

“We have very blessed to have a real good recruiting class coming in,” said Steinke. “We have a great combination of athletic and academic players that will come in and contribute right away to help the returners. We are excited to see what next year will bring. We were the sleepers this year but now everybody knows we will be coming after the crown.”

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu