Skip to Content
Financial Aid
Eligibility Requirements for Federal Aid

Eligibility Requirements for Federal Aid

With the exception of some loan programs, you must show that you have financial need in order to receive financial aid. Federal student aid recipients have to meet certain requirements in order to be considered eligible for federal financial aid funds. The basic requirements are:

  • Have a U.S. high school diploma or GED
  • Be enrolled as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in a federally eligible program
  • Meet financial aid standards of satisfactory academic progress as defined by the school
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have a valid Social Security Number
  • Not be in default on any federal student loan or owe a repayment to any federal grant program
  • Comply with Selective Service registration requirements
  • Satisfy the drug conviction question on the FAFSA

Maintaining Eligibility

Federal financial aid can only be used toward classes required for your active program of study. You cannot receive federal aid for courses that will only apply to a future program or degree.

Students are expected to attend their registered courses from the first day of class. Federal student aid disbursements are based on enrolled credit hours that have been verified by instructor attendance reporting. Students who are reported as not attending a course will lose federal aid eligibility for that course.

Credit Hour Requirements
You will need to successfully complete 67 percent of all hours attempted, each term and cumulatively, with grades of A, B, C, D, IP or S. Grades of F, Z, W, I, U,UW and PG are not considered as successful completions. You must also maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00.

You must complete your program of study within 150 percent of the program length. Clark State credits and any transfer credits accepted by Clark State are included in the 150 percent timeframe maximums, also including withdrawals, non-completions and College Preparatory Education credit hours. If a student changes majors within the same degree or certificate, he or she is still required to complete within the same maximum timeframe.

Dropping Classes
If you add or drop classes during the drop/add period, your financial aid will recalculate based on your level of enrollment. Once the drop/add period is over, your aid may be lowered if you stop attending or drop a class. See the online student calendar for the refund period dates.

If you drop all of your classes, your federal aid may have to be returned to the U.S. Department of Education. For more information, read the Return of Title IV Funds policy.

Remedial Coursework
You may receive federal financial aid payments for no more than 30 hours of non-credit remedial course work. This restriction holds for all the federal grants, loans and work-study. You can, however, still receive federal financial aid payments for credit courses enrolled during same term as remedial courses.

Repeated Coursework

Courses that have been previously completed with a passing grade are considered when determining enrollment status for the term. However, the repetition of a course that you have passed previously may not be considered financial aid eligible.

Unofficial Withdrawals
Students who begin class but stop participating either by class attendance, online contact or assignments prior to completion of 70 percent of the term, will be considered an unofficial withdrawal. The student will receive a failing grade of UW on their transcript. In addition, a required federal financial aid recalculation will be completed and the student may owe funds back to Clark State.

Questions? We're here to help!

Financial Aid - Springfield Leffel Lane