Skip to Content
Community
Annual MLK Luncheon Honors Clark State and Springfield Diversity Champions, Youth Peacekeepers

Annual MLK Luncheon Honors Clark State and Springfield Diversity Champions, Youth Peacekeepers

January 17, 2024

Clark State College, Park National Bank and the City of Springfield hosted the 2024 annual MLK Luncheon in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., on Friday, January 12 at the Hollenbeck Bayley Creative Arts and Conference Center in Springfield.

The annual event celebrates the life and vision of Dr. King, and honors youth peacekeepers. Award recipients were announced for the Clark State Diversity and Inclusion Award and the Springfield Diversity Champion Award. 

The Clark State Diversity and Inclusion Award recognizes leadership in diversity—either internally or externally—honoring the individual or organization who have implemented innovative strategies to promote the development of skills to meet the needs of a multicultural society.

This year’s Diversity and Inclusion Award was presented to Elecia Spain, assistant dean of access and retention services at Clark State.

Spain said she is honored to have been nominated and selected for Clark State’s Diversity and Inclusion award.

“Having worked with students with varying levels of disabilities, academic preparation as well as socioeconomic background over the past 10 years has been a joy,” she said. “I am energized and committed to always doing the best I can for our students and the College. I am so grateful for all of the support and guidance I receive at Clark State.”

The Springfield Diversity Champion Award, presented by Clark State and the Greater Springfield Partnership, was awarded to the Sweet Manufacturing Company. The Award recognizes a business in the community that believes in and supports diversity and inclusion in their place of work; one who brings awareness and ensures inclusion is an everyday reality.

“The best way to maintain diversity within any organization is to try to replicate the community that you live in, and it needs to look like the community,” said Alicia Sweet Hupp, president and CEO of Sweet Manufacturing.

Keynote Speaker at the event was Terra Fox Williams, president and CEO of YWCA Dayton. Also at the luncheon, the My Brother’s/Sister’s Keeper mentoring program accepted donation items. 

Additional support for the annual luncheon is provided by The Springfield Foundation, Mercy Health, Benjamin Steel and CareSource.

“This event is important for the community as it is a true indicator of Dr. King’s lifetime work coming to fruition,” said Breion Hawkins, diversity coordinator at Clark State. “It’s an event that builds and uplifts the community, as there’s opportunity to learn, honor, and partake in fellowship together.”

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu