Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Announces Seventh Class of SOAR Participants

Clark State Announces Seventh Class of SOAR Participants

June 16, 2023

The seventh class of Clark State College SOAR participants will begin their mentorship this fall under the guidance of Clark State President, Dr. Jo Alice Blondin.

SOAR – Serving Our Own through Leadership and Retention – was developed in order to facilitate mentoring of faculty and staff on campus and assist them in identifying current and future leadership opportunities that will result in personal and professional growth. The SOAR program was featured in the American Association of Community Colleges Community College Daily: https://www.ccdaily.com/2019/05/helping-staff-and-faculty-soar/

“This program has received national recognition and is totally focused on creating a culture of student success at Clark State,” said Dr. Jo Alice Blondin, president of Clark State. “The benefits of this program accrue every year as SOAR participants impact their colleagues in positive ways.”

Selected participants – three faculty members and three staff members - must attend all meetings and events and complete all program requirements. Each will receive a one percent increase in base salary (in addition to any annual salary adjustments) at the successful completion of the program, special recognition at Charter Night and a well-developed career/mentoring plan.

Nazarae Butler was a member of the 2022-23 SOAR class. She served as an academic adviser in student support services, and recently took the helm as director of athletics and student life at Clark State.

“Looking back over the last couple of months of being under Dr. Blondin’s advisory, I learned so much about our President, Clark State, my colleagues, and myself,” said Butler. “The vital component of the mentoring program is professional development, but I’ve grown just as much personally. It allowed me to really see the value in myself and what I bring to the table to help the functionality of the college.”

Butler said being a SOAR participant has restored her self- confidence, helped her to see the bigger picture and to progress in her role at Clark State.

“I am a firm believer in ‘if you know better, you do better’ and the exposure I received speaks life into that guiding principle,” she said. “I feel that I am more equipped to do the work that I am passionate about. Lastly, I am extremely grateful for the connections that I made with my cohort.”

Blondin said the 2023-24 SOAR participants represent a diverse and talented group of faculty and staff from across campus, and she looks forward to getting to know them better and encouraging them in their future ambitions.

2023-24 SOAR Participants

Faculty

Karen Benton

Associate Professor and Interim Assistant Dean, Criminal Justice Program Coordinator, Health, Human and Public Services

“Participating in SOAR will provide me with the opportunity to influence change that will benefit the students and the Clark State College's stakeholders,” said Benton. “Playing any role in imparting ‘best practices’ is a gift that should not be taken lightly.  SOAR will provide me with the opportunity to take part in an effort that can impact our students and the community for years to come.”

Garrett Fisher

Instructor, Registered Nursing Program, Health, Human and Public Services

“I have heard wonderful things about the SOAR program,” said Fisher. “I applied to SOAR to get a better perspective on how to help students, the college, and the community.”

Megan Platfoot

Instructor/Program Director, Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, Health, Human and Public Services 

“I wanted to join the SOAR program to grow not only as a leader in higher education but as an individual as well. The SOAR program is a wonderful opportunity to learn from strong individuals both at the college and in our community,” said Platfoot. “I look forward to learning more about Clark State through the expertise of our leadership and colleagues. I want to continue to be a role model for my students and the community, and the SOAR program is a wonderful way to continue that goal. As I look ahead at furthering my career, the knowledge I gain from the SOAR program will be an asset.”

Staff

Sean Dodge

Institutional Research Analyst, Academic Affairs

“(I) spoke to some SOAR alumni who spoke highly of their experiences with cross-college collaboration as well as understanding how the college's goals and initiatives fit within the context of the State's goals and legislative framework,” said Dodge. “I hope to learn from my cohort and in turn provide my experience as we develop a project. I also hope to take what I gain from SOAR to have better context to provide information for decision makers and learn to be a better communicator.”

Michael Key

Academic Progress Coordinator, Student Affairs

“I applied to participate in the SOAR program because I am impressed by Clark State's commitment to servant leadership and the opportunity to further explore and define my vocation. As a first-generation college student from Appalachia, I am honored to be part of an organization that values service and is dedicated to human development,” he said. :I am excited to explore how the SOAR program can help me become a stronger leader and find, mentor, and collaborate with change agents at every level of the organization. I believe that education can be a transformational experience for everyone, and I am eager to see how the SOAR program can help me take the next steps in my life to make that a more common reality.”

Danielle Williams

Business Development Manager, Workforce and Business

“I’m very excited to be a part of the SOAR Program,” said Williams. “I want to become more involved, continue to learn, and step out of my comfort zone to become a confident leader at Clark State. The SOAR Leadership program will help me reach my career and personal goals.”

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu