Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Associate Professor Scott Dawson Awarded by American Association of Community Colleges

Clark State Associate Professor Scott Dawson Awarded by American Association of Community Colleges

February 15, 2021

Scott Dawson, associate professor and coordinator of graphic design & new media at Clark State College has been awarded the 2021 American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) Dale P. Parnell Faculty Distinction Recognition.

This recognition, named in honor of former AACC President and CEO Dale P. Parnell, was established to recognize individuals making a difference in the classroom.

“I'm honored and humbled to be recognized with this national award,” said Dawson. “One of my favorite parts of working with students at Clark State is that it is equal parts teaching and service. I get to train the designers of tomorrow while helping them rise above their circumstances and succeed. I thank God for this opportunity.”

President of Clark State, Dr. Jo Alice Blondin, nominated Dawson for the award and said Dawson is a leader on campus.

“He currently serves as President-elect of the Faculty Senate and has championed numerous initiatives that improve the student experience, including increased technology to facilitate student transfer and course approvals, and has led efforts to establish a physical and virtual space for faculty and staff self-care,” said Blondin.

Dawson began his career at Clark State in 2005 as Director of Education and Community Outreach. Prior to coming to Clark State, he worked extensively in arts education and teaching.

Dawson created the college’s Associate’s degree in New Media, in anticipation of increased use of technology in these fields. Additionally, he created Clark State’s second Applied Bachelor of Applied Science in Web Development and Design, an interdisciplinary degree that combines graphic design, multimedia, and information technology.

Blondin said Dawson is well-known in the community for connecting students to careers in the media/graphic design fields.

“His students have risen in their careers due to his teaching and mentoring,” she said. “Scott’s commitment to students is inspiring, genuine and impactful.”

Dawson has also received many additional awards, including the Clark State Excellence in Teaching Award and the Southwestern Ohio Council of Higher Education Teaching Excellence Award.

“Scott is a very knowledgeable faculty member who has demonstrated repeatedly that he is an expert in his discipline,” said Dr. Tiffany E. Hunter, Provost and vice president of academic affairs at Clark State. “Scott provides his students with a wealth of hands-on experiences that has led many to successful careers. He is also a very active faculty member that serves on many committees and is very committed to Clark State.”

As a Faculty Distinction recipient, Dawson will receive a custom commemorative medal and be recognized at an AACC virtual ceremony in May.

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu