Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Professor Ingram Awarded Prestigious AACC Distinction

Clark State Professor Ingram Awarded Prestigious AACC Distinction

January 30, 2020

The American Association of Community Colleges has selected Dr. Bridget Ingram, professor of Early Childhood Education at Clark State Community College, for the prestigious 2020 Dale P. Parnell Faculty Distinction Recognition. This recognition is named in honor of former AACC President and CEO Dale P. Parnell. It was established to recognize individuals making a difference in the classroom.

“Clark State’s award-winning Early Childhood Education program is due in large part to the leadership of Dr. Bridget Ingram,” said Dr. Jo Alice Blondin, president of Clark State. “She exhibits a true passion for ensuring that her students have the necessary skills and training to work in the field or transfer into an education program. Without her efforts, our service area would lack the workforce to staff our child development centers and classrooms.”

Ingram said teaching brings her joy. She recently overhead two students talking outside her classroom. One student asked, “Is that class hard?” Her student replied, “Yeah, but it really makes me think….I like it. I never had to think like that before.”  After Ingram shares this story, she says, “This is why I teach. It is my passion, love and gift. When I hear ‘every student can succeed,’ it is much more than a slogan, it’s my sincere belief and guides my every thought and action.”

Ingram said each of her students has a story, a gift, and seeks opportunity. “It is my job to create the mirrors and windows that make those things a reality,” she said. “I’ve worked in the field of education for a third of my life, and whether my student is five or fifty, I view him or her through the same empowering lens.”

Ingram has served on a variety of college committees including faculty senate, faculty promotion committee and faculty development committee.

As chairperson of the faculty development committee, Ingram introduced faculty book clubs, educational films, college-wide teaching and learning principles and a flipped and active learning study group that has retained up to 18 members over six years. She facilitated distribution of iPads for all members, worked to provide resources to create four active learning classrooms and created an active learning study guide. She also led the Faculty Mentoring program for five years and created the handbook.

Ingram makes herself approachable and available to her students at all times; even sharing personal contact information and time. “Teaching is my passion, and it extends well beyond the classroom walls and roster,” she said.

Dr. Ingram is known in the community as an expert on early childhood development and education and is a sought-after speaker.

Blondin said Ingram is a leader on the Clark State campus. “She has led and championed numerous initiatives that improve the student experience, including the flipped classroom implementation, increased technology in classrooms, comprehensive diversity training and cultural competencies and work-based learning initiatives.”

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu