Skip to Content
Community
Clark State student elected international president of Phi Theta Kappa

Clark State student elected international president of Phi Theta Kappa

April 16, 2024
Annalise Smith wins PTK international president in blue gown with red medal Members of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society recently elected Annalise Smith (shown), Clark State College student, as international president.

Members of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society recently elected Annalise Smith, Clark State College student, as international president.

“Being elected to serve as a PTK international officer is a tremendous honor for Annalise and Clark State,” said Lynn Tincher-Ladner, Ph.D., president and CEO of PTK, an organization that recognizes and encourages academic achievements of two-year college students while also providing leadership and service opportunities. “Students do not reach this level of recognition without the strong support of the entire college community—including students, faculty and staff members, college administrators and Board members.”
The PTK international president, the highest student position in the organization, holds a one-year term, during which time they travel, speak and advocate for PTK and community colleges.

Smith applied to become a presidential candidate in early 2024. After a rigorous process that included letters of recommendation, transcript review and a research study, she won the role.

“As I grew up, I found that I have a passion for inspiring and lifting others,” said Smith who decided to campaign for the international position following a bout with depression. “I wanted to prove to myself that I could keep fighting while showing others that it is still possible for them as well. I don't believe in faking who you are so I knew from the very beginning I would just be authentic. It’s important that we are true to ourselves in life. Never be afraid to be yourself, to love and to put yourself out there.”

Smith lives true to her words, bringing “Love Letters to Ourselves” to both the Clark State campus and the campaign trail.

“Annalise has a deep-rooted passion for advocacy work and bringing awareness to the importance of mental health. Her campaign booth stressed this by having constituents draft letters to themselves, highlighting how important it is to love yourself exactly as you are,” said Samantha Levy, Ph.D., senior director of student engagement, Division III PTK Honor Society. “She wants to advocate for others and create a better future for her peers. This next step in her leadership journey will undoubtedly help other students take great leaps in theirs.”

Smith graduated from Clark State College in the spring of 2023 as a College Credit Plus student, consecutively earning her associate degree of science and high school diploma. She is currently re-enrolled at Clark State and is pursuing an associate of arts in political science. Her previous honors include serving as vice president of service for the Clark State PTK chapter and as the western district representative for Ohio Regional PTK.

“Annalise is such a bright light,” said Nina Wiley, vice president of student affairs and PTK advisor at Clark State. “Those around her immediately experience and benefit from her positivity, passion for human kindness and respect. She has been an incredible leader at Clark State and I am excited for Phi Theta Kappa members across the world to know her and learn from her.”

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu