Skip to Content
Community
Clark State Welcomes 46 New Champion City Scholars

Clark State Welcomes 46 New Champion City Scholars

October 26, 2016

Clark State Community College will hold an induction ceremony and luncheon on November 1 to welcome 46 new inductees of the 2016 Champion City Scholars (CCS) program.

“This is one of our favorite events of the year where we welcome a new class of students who will be the first in their families to earn a college degree,” said Catie Maher, Clark State Foundation director.

The inductees are eighth grade students currently enrolled in the Springfield City School District. Upon graduation from Springfield High School, the students will receive up to three years of tuition, books and class fees at no cost to them. This is the 13th class of students selected for the Champion City Scholars program. The Clark State Foundation offers the CCS students the option of a free college education at Clark State.

“As a graduate of Clark State myself, I know firsthand the opportunities that are available with a Clark State education,” said Matthew Ison, program manager of Champion City Scholars. “I’m looking forward to sharing my own experience with this new class of future graduates.”

Prospective CCS students submitted an application, a personal essay and provided recommendations from a school staff member and an adult in the community. A team from Clark State, Springfield City School District, Champion City Scholars program mentors, Clark State Foundation Board members and community volunteers interviewed each student.

Once inducted as a Champion City Scholar, students must maintain eligibility by meeting a minimum 2.0 GPA requirement, have a good school attendance and behavior record and exhibit positive citizenship. They must also attend CCS program activities including monthly mentor meetings, quarterly activity days and retreat/seminar days.

“The Champion City Scholars program would not be possible without the generosity of Warren G. Elliott and his family,” said Clark State President Dr. Jo Alice Blondin. “Clark State and the student participants are grateful for their generosity, vision and commitment to ensuring a college education for these students through strong mentorship, career guidance and personal development.”

Elliott was a dentist and oral surgeon in Springfield. After he passed away in 2006, his family donated funds to establish the Champion City Scholars program that bears Dr. Elliott's name.

Lunch will be provided at no cost to the students and their families, and students will also have the opportunity to have a commemorative photograph taken with their family. The Clark State Foundation will provide a framed picture for each student.

The Champion City Scholars induction ceremony and luncheon will be held at the Hollenbeck Bayley Creative Arts and Conference Center, 275 South Fountain Avenue, from 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. on Tuesday, November 1.

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu