Skip to Content
Community
Kanesha Scott Named Director of Clark State’s Scholars Program

Kanesha Scott Named Director of Clark State’s Scholars Program

August 28, 2018

Kanesha Scott has been named director of the Scholars program at Clark State Community College. The Scholars program encompasses the Champion City Scholars, Champaign County Scholars and the newly developed Clark County Scholars. Scott has been with Clark State since 2015 as the STEM program manager.

“I am the daughter of first generation college students -- being knowledgeable of the difference higher education can make for individuals, their families and communities is what interested me in the Scholars program,” said Scott. “Prior to Clark State, I taught science for grades 7 through 9, and as a teacher I dreamed that my students who needed financial help and mentors could have that.”

The Scholars program identifies low-income middle school students who will become the first in their families to earn a college degree. Upon their graduation, the Scholars students will be eligible for three years of college at Clark State, at no cost to the students. Volunteer mentors encourage the students from eighth grade through their third year of college. Enrichment experiences include career exploration, cultural appreciation and cultivating a sense of responsibility to give back to the community.

“We are excited to have Kanesha Scott in this role,” said Toni Overholser, director of the Clark State Foundation. “She brings a wide array of student engagement experience to this position and is passionate about student success.  I know our students will benefit from her dedication and support.”

“I am most looking forward to growing relationships with the tremendous educators and communities surrounding our school districts as we collaborate to change the lives of our Scholars,” she said. ““It is a program with capabilities of transformational change.”

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu