Skip to Content
Community
Wiley Family Establishes Bobby Fisher Scholarship Through Clark State Foundation

Wiley Family Establishes Bobby Fisher Scholarship Through Clark State Foundation

September 14, 2023

Nina Wiley, assistant vice president of student affairs at Clark State College, and her husband Steven have established a scholarship through the Clark State Foundation in honor of Nina’s late father, Bobby Fisher.

In recognition of this donation, an awards case housing the many accomplishments of Clark State’s Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) chapter – Alpha Nu Lambda - was named in the Wiley’s honor.

Wiley has served as a PTK advisor for the past five years and said the experience has been life changing.

“The students I have met and the relationships that have been built inspire me to do more,” she said. “Helping to remove barriers for students is more than a job, it is my passion. Our PTK members are leaders who have dedicated their time, efforts, and talents to serving our chapter and the Clark State community, as evidenced by the awards and recognitions in the display case.”

Established by Missouri two-year college presidents in 1918, Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society serves to recognize and encourage the academic achievement of two-year college students and provide opportunities for individual growth and development through honors, leadership and service programming.

Toni Overholser, vice president of advancement at Clark State, said Wiley is a champion of PTK students and because of her support, the chapter has received many awards.

“We’re excited to honor her scholarship contribution in this special way,” she said.

The Bobby Fisher scholarship is available to eligible Clark State students enrolled in the business program.

“My father had a remarkable business sense, and we are honored to offer a scholarship in his name to students pursuing a business-related degree,” said Wiley.

To be eligible for the Bobby Fisher Scholarship Clark State students must be pursuing a degree in business or management, hold a minimum grade point average of 2.5, and be a resident of Clark County.

“We are so grateful to the Wiley’s for supporting our students with this special scholarship in honor of Nina’s father,” said Overholser. “Both Nina and Steven are passionate about removing barriers and creating opportunities for our students.”

The Bobby Fisher Scholarship was awarded to Gina Woodruff who said receiving this scholarship will ease some of the financial pressure on her and her family.

“Going to college while working and taking care of a family is a huge undertaking, but I am up for the challenge,” said Woodruff. “I will be a first-generation college graduate in my family, an accomplishment that I am very proud of. (With) the support of my family, my fellow students, instructors, and the wonderful community…I can reach my goals.”

Woodruff is pursuing a degree in Human Resource Management.

“We are thankful to have the opportunity to make a difference in students’ lives,” said Steven Wiley.

Media Contact

Lori Common Communications Coordinator

937.328.6086 commonl@clarkstate.edu